If you missed our 1910 before home tour or our gone kitchen gone progress post, then you won't know what the kitchen floor previously looked like. Originally the kitchen floors were covered with a red and cream colored vinyl that made a chevron pattern.
There were patches of tile peeled up and when we removed more the original hardwood was underneath!!!
The new drywall was put up and the floor was coated with drywall dust.
Since there were several places where the exposed floor had holes (from original plumbing, etc.) my husband and helpers ripped up some of the original wood from under where the new cabinets will be placed in order to patch the damaged areas.
The removed boards were replaced with plywood and the holes were patched.
They look amazing all sanded down!!!
We decided to keep a rustic, natural, unstained finish.
First step after sanding was a coat of Minwax Sanding Sealer .
After it was dry hubs used a pole sander and gave the finish a rough sand.
Next up, tack cloth wrapped onto a Swiffer Sweeper cleaned up the sanding dust.
I was looking into using Waterlox to seal the floors (and countertops) but unfortunately we found out it is no longer allowed to be sold in Maryland. Bummer! So instead we went with Minwax Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane.
Here's a peek of the first coat of polyurethane going on!
A full reveal of the floors will be coming soon. Hopefully it will include a look at the cabinets too! They came in TODAY and will hopefully be in place by the end of the week!!!